IRS Collection

Fight Back Against IRS Collection Efforts

If you have an unpaid tax liability, whether it was self-reported or as a result of a notice of deficiency, the IRS puts your balance due on the books (this is an assessment of your liability). The IRS will then send you a bill that explains how much you owe (Notice and Demand for Payment).

If you neglect or refuse to fully pay the debt in time or are unable to pay the debt, then the IRS will begin to take collection actions against you. These come in the form of either a levy where the IRS seizes assets and apply it to pay the amount you owe, and they may file a federal tax lien on your personal property. Extremely delinquent tax debts could result in the IRS foreclosing on your property, including your personal residence (even in Texas, a homestead right does not protect you!).

At THEVOZ Attorneys, PLLC, we can assist you with the collection process. This can come in the form of requesting a collection alternative (described below) to representing you in a collection due process (CDP) hearing. If your case qualifies for CDP hearing, the IRS will review the issues of your case with a fresh, objective perspective and schedule a conference with you. It is important to have representation during this hearing to help you get the best outcome possible for your case. An experienced attorney may be able to get the IRS to abate penalties in your case or reach a favorable collection alterative.

Types of Collection Alternatives:

  • Installment Agreements – allows you to make smaller periodic payments over time if you can’t pay the full amount at once. We can help prepare the Collection Information Statement (Form 433-A or Form 433-B)
  • Offers-in-compromise – if you can’t pay the amount you owe in full or through installments then it may be time to settle unpaid taxes for less than the full amount you owe. We can help prepare the Collection Information Statement (Form 433-A or Form 433-B) and the Form 656.

Revocation or Denial of Passport in Case of Unpaid Taxes

If you have unpaid, legally enforceable federal tax debt (including interest and penalties) totaling more than $53,000 then you are at risk of having your US passport revoked or its renewal denied.  At THEVOZ Attorneys, PLLC, we help to get you in compliance so that a “delinquent certification” can be promptly reversed and you can go back to your life. If you have imminent travel plans you cannot afford to wait, the IRS needs to be contacted immediately or you may be left without a valid passport. Click here for more information about passport revocations or denials in the case of “seriously delinquent tax debts.”

Injured Spouse Requests

If you are married and your share of a joint refund has been erroneously applied to a past-due obligation of your spouse then we can prepare a Form 8379 to get back your share of the joint refund.

Innocent Spouse Requests

A married couple that filed a joint return is jointly and severally liable for the amount shown on the return and where there is an understatement of tax, the deficiency and possibly even penalties. If your spouse (or former spouse) improperly reported items or omitted items on your tax return you, may qualify for relief.



Our international tax law attorneys are ready to work for you.

Get a confidential case evaluation.